Saturday, March 26, 2011

Freezing Spinach

I realized that I starting wasting a lot of good food a while back. I haven't been perfect, but I have been increasingly better at saving the food in my home from souring, rotting, or developing the funky stuff. 

What happens when you are faced with this? :


This week's refrigerator save is spinach! It is such an incredibly easy thing to do, and will be a great start to a nice creamed spinach in the coming week or weeks. ahhh..

Pantry/Fridge List
  • Lots of spinach that you want to save
  • Freezer bag
Putting it together:
  1. Start an ice cold bath for blanching the spinach.
  2. Start a big pot of boiling water ( I threw a little salt in the pot).
  3. When the pot comes to a full boil add the spinach
  4. As it starts to brighten up after about 1-2 minutes quickly move the spinach with a ladel into the cold bath.
  5. Pour the spinach and cold bath threw a strainer.
  6. Use a few absorbant paper towels to pull most of the moisture out of the spinach so you don't have too much ice in your frozen chopped spinach
  7. Chop the spinach
  8. Transfer chopped spinah to a freezer bag and freeze away!


NOTES: (!!) Make sure you squeeze out as much water as possible. My creamed spinach was a little too watery because I did not squeeze out enough water.

No comments:

Post a Comment