Saturday, January 1, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Food Poisoned's Soul

After a wonderful meal with close friends in Boston, delicious appetizers and rich creamy meals of Spanish inspiration Dave got really really sick. I desperately wanted to make some chicken fricassee but I wasn't equipped with time or all the tools.

Rachel had cleverly stored some matzo ball soup broth. The work was already done!

Meal #1 : Rachel's Matzo ball soup with all the yummy matzo balls consumed

She saved the left overs.

Meal #2 : Chicken Frick

I bought the smallest onion I've ever seen, the size of a golf ball, I chopped it up and lightly sauteed the onion. As it started to turn clear I added 4 large chicken drumsticks and added them to the pan. As the skins started to brown up I added a partially defrosted frozen matzo ball soup broth so the onions sizzled. I popped the cover on and let the fricassee/soup boil. I had little time to make it so I let it boil at full boil for about 30 minutes.

Next I took all the chicken off the bone and packed it up. We drove home to good old CT for some R&R, on the way home I picked up 6 more boneless skinless chicken pieces. When I got home I added  can of chicken broth and the chicken, let that cook up at a light simmer for about 45 minutes. Presto! Meal #2.

Saved the left over chicken.

Meal #3 : Chicken Soup

On that same trip home I picked up a pack of pre-chopped veggies. It had snow peas, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli. Tonight I lightly sauteed them in a big pot, added a combination of a tiny bit of bouillon, water, and chicken stock. Next, I added the left over chicken.

On the side cooked some rice 1/2 way. When it was half way cooked I added it to the pot to finish cooking. This way it absorbs the flavor and is more yummy.

Cracked fresh pepper, added about a 1/2 a teaspoon of salt because it was chicken-y enough but not salty enough and I didn't want to add bouillon.

With a little fresh bread for the dipping, it was a delightful treat.

Saved the left overs.

Meal #4 : Chicken Stew-oup

Left overs!

Note: I am really into the saving and freezing- new meals that last a long time are part of my "healthy" new year's/ solstice projection.

No comments:

Post a Comment