Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes (but Newman-O's instead)

I was innocently working one day, yes, I was working, when my co-worker pings me with a link to a blog like none I've seen before (click me). It was full of desserts, this was the first one I saw. A variation of Martha Stewart's Oreo cheesecake cupcakes. Instead of crushing all the Oreos and folding them in, one full Oreo was placed at the bottom with the cream cheese filling covering the top. Wow. Dangerous, daring, delicious... A few weeks later came the perfect excuse to make something I otherwise wouldn't have dared let enter my "dieting" kitchen. A surprise party for the best dessert chef I know, and fellow blogger (click me too).


My local grocery store doesn't carry the Oreo brand, instead we get Newman-O's (try them if you've never had them, AMAZING). With really the only variation to the recipe this is how it turned out....


Shopping List:
  • 42 Newman-O's (Crush 12)
  • 2 pounds cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Putting it Together:
  1. Coarsely chop 12 Oreos, I used the elusive Slap Chop. (Loved it!)
  2. Let the cream cheese set to room temperature, once at room temp., beat it until smooth. If you have a mixer use the paddle blade, if you do not have a mixer get that arm warmed up and mix it with a strong wooden spoon (like me).
  3. Once the cream cheese is smooth add the sugar, it will get a lot easier to mix (if mixing by hand) as you add the sugar.
  4. Next incorporate the vanilla.
  5. Add the eggs, two at a time and blend in completely.
  6. Blend in the sour cream and salt.
  7. Finally, fold in the crushed Newman-Os
  8. Preheat the oven to 275.
  9. Line your cupcake trays with the cupcake wrappers and place a Newman inside each one. I only had room for 24, but you can make up to 30.
  10. Scoop the filling on top, just about to the top, showing a little edge.
  11. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, you want them to just puff up a little bit.. they will not brown nor do you want them to.
  12. Remove from the oven, cool on racks, when completely cool store in tupperware in the fridge for 4 hours to overnight.
  13. Devour!!

No comments:

Post a Comment