Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sausage Fennel Onion and Peppers

I found this recipe years ago and have been modifying it ever since. After volunteering to cook for our girls art night, selfishly so I could make this blog post, I racked my brain for recipes new to this blog and new to all my friends.

Shopping List:
  • 3 sausages ( one mild and two hot) about 1lb
  • 2 fresh fennel
  • 1 medium onion
  • 3 peppers (2 red, 1 orange)
  • 1 can of whole tomatoes
  • 1 15oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 tblspn of tomato paste
  • 1 tsp of crushed red pepper
  • S&P
  • Parsley
  • Garlic powder
 Putting it Together:
  1. Cut the sausage out of their casings and separate.
  2. Add to a hot skillet and add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper and regular ground pepper (about 1/4 tsp)
  3. On a mild heat brown the sausage
  4. Once brown, transfer the sausage to a plate and allow oil to drain onto paper towels.
  5. With the remaining fat from the sausage turn the heat up to medium and add all the thinly sliced fennel.
  6. Caramelize the fennel (see picture below)
  7. Add the onions
  8. Add the peppers and sausage
  9. Add the whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes. Cut the whole tomatoes with a pair of scissors... this part is so fun.
  10. Add tomatoes paste, about a tablespoon of parsley, garlic powder, and S&P to taste.

Notes:
- When I add parsley and garlic powder to taste, I usually sprinkle a thin layer of spice over the whole pot, let it sit and then add another as I know/think is necessary. I have been trying to measure these "layers" out for my audience, but haven't been able to do that yet... Hold tight!
- Fennel is a difficult ingredient, I do not like how it tastes like liquorish, if you take a lot of care to caramelize the fennel it takes on beautiful sweet aromas and you no longer have the classic anise-liquorish flavors that overwhlem the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment