Friday, November 5, 2010

The Inspiration

After a long week and late nights of work to get the projects I have done before I leave for my trip to Argentina, (!!) I decided it was time to revisit my most relaxing dish, and my inspiration for my cooking in general.

For as long as far back as I can remember into my childhood, I can remember my Grandma's chicken fricassee. I  thought fricassee was such a great/comical name and what was equally fun were the  nicknames it developed: chick a frick, chicky chick, chick.

As a youngster my mom and grandma exposed me to the recipe-less world of a pinch of this and that. It was by far the best lesson in getting to know your ingredients so without looking you could create a delectable dish. I used the this-or-that method to replicate this chicken fricassee from my childhood.

Both memory and my mom helped me piece together the basic steps and important flavor steps. But the exact smell and taste was a long process.


Shopping List

-          A package of chicken (preferably a dark meat) bone in! ( take most of the skin off but not completely you want a minimal amount of natural fat)
-          One small onion or ¾ of a medium-large onion (too much onion ruins the flavor so be careful)
-          Clove of garlic
-          Salt, Pepper, Parsley
-          Bouillon (a chicken base)- (you can use 1 or 2 cubes depending on how much chicken but I like a scoop of the giant powder kind at Costco)
Putting it Together:

1)      Cut the onion into rings, thin, but not so thin that they will disintegrate.
2)      About a tablespoon of oil in the bottom of  a pot; heat over medium high
3)      Add onions, salt and pepper (don’t overdo the salt because the chicken base has a lot, I just kind of shake it over the onions) and parsley I’d say a tablespoon, I tend to put in a bunch because it really cooks down.
4)      Stir the onions around a lot, keep them so they barely turn clear – do not want them to brown but just a little is okay.
5)      Once the onions are just a little clear throw the chicken in,  add water and chicken base, enough to cover chicken and bring to a boil.
6)      Once it boils for 15, 20 minutes bring to a simmer.
7)      Smash the garlic clove so it is still whole but separated so the flavor can escape and throw it in the pot.
8)      cook for 1 to 3 hours.

Notes:
  • You can eat it after 35 minutes or so but for great flavor you really want it to fall off the bone. To fall off the bone cook it for 1.5 - 2.5 hours
  • Thighs are better if you are worried about bones
  • I wouldn’t recommend cooking for more than 3 hours because the chicken starts to lose its texture/substance.
  • Things that make a difference: browning vs. not browning the chicken, amount of onion, chicken base... I don't brown the chicken, i use probably a quarter cup per 6 drumsticks, i slowly add the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment