Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving - A Feast with Friends

Thanksgiving is an awesome holiday. The name explains why it is such a great day. I have so much to be thankful for and everyone at some point will take the time to think of what that means to them. Together with close family and friends was the recipe needed for a great Thanksgiving- and for a meal fit for kings.

9 people, three turkeys, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower gratin, beets, rolls, salad, pumpkin cheese cake roll, homemade ice cream, kiwi pie.

Knowing there would be a deep fryer, a dangerous addition to any party with our friends, and so much turkey, I volunteered to bring a bunch of vegetables to ensure proper vitamin intake.

I soon realized preparing vegetables was going to be hard! My last veggie bake was a disaster in my eyes. What to do...? In the grocery store aimlessly staring at the vegetables before me I found cauliflower, a brilliant white and freshness was oozing out of the bag. Cauliflower Gratin! I knew I had prepared this before and it just perfect.

Thanksgiving morning I prepared the Cauliflower Gratin (actually a Barefoot Contessa recipe, and amazing, I have attached the link.. and I will not rewrite her recipe here) thanks to the wonderful cookbook from Dave's mom. Upon getting it in the small baking dish I realized I had not considered the fact that there would be 8!!! In a panic and with a second trip to the grocery store in the same morning in sight I got a little upset. My brother volunteered to run out and save the day.

Fresh bunches of beets and broccoli arrived. I took on the broccoli. I tried a second attempt at baking vegetables. Broccoli alone was safer than a large array of veggies with varying cooking times. The roasted broccoli ended up being a great addition to our feast. When roasted broccoli develops an earthy, nutty, sweet flavor. It is a simple and healthy addition to any meal. I am going to share with you the most simple broccoli dish.

Oven Broiled Broccoli:

Shopping List:
  • Bunches of broccoli
  • A little olive oil
  • Garlic powder
  • Fresh salt and pepper
Putting it Together:
  1. Chop the broccoli into nice medium sized florets
  2. Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Dig your hands into the bowl and combine. You don't want there to be too much oil, just enough to coat. If there is a pool of oil and the bottom of the bowl you added too much.
  3. Depending on how much broccoli there is this changes but I'd say about 1/2 tablespoon of Garlic powder to a bunch, then crack salt and pepper over the top and distribute the seasoning with a large spoon.
  4. Cook right away or let marinate.. the longer the better
  5. When ready to cook spread the broccoli to one layer and place on the highest rack in the oven
  6. Cook for about 10 minutes, check and mix at 7 minutes
  7. Serve, add a dollop of whipped butter and fresh turn of cracked pepper, if desired
Notes:
- A fun addition is to roast garlic cloves along with it

No comments:

Post a Comment