Friday, November 19, 2010

Meat Pie!

My favorite food that I have had here are the Empanadas! As a finale to my trip to Argentina I am going to share a fairly short entry about these pies.


I've ordered all sorts, ground beef, skirt steak, large and small. They vary as far as the light pastry crusts and spiced fillings. The best empanada depends on the taste buds of the beholder. Whether they have more gravy, cheese, peppers.. or are baked  or fried, and contain other ranges of spices.Empanadas really embody the carne Argentina is known for as an appetizer, evening snack, or for me, breakfast! 


Campobravo had the best empanadas I have had while I have been here. They are sweet and savory, the crust is fried, chewy, and flaky and encase a warm sweet carne. This is my favorite because the filling is similar to the flavors in the rump roast I had at my grandparents' as a little girl. These empanadas have a rump cut of minced bife and is marinated with onion, barely noticeable minced tomatoes, garlic, green onions, pepper, and slow cooked with a light red wine and complimented by a thinly sliced mozzarella. 


I have never explored making puff pastries or breads in general. After coming to Argentina and experiencing a new variety of food, despite my slightly squimish Sweeney Todd thoughts of what really goes into a meat pie, puff pastry and building an empanada is towards to top of my list of new kitchen experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment