Thursday, December 23, 2010

Grouse Mountain Grill

For a wonderful anniversary trip Dave and I went to Beaver Creek. I forgot my camera so I don't have the descriptive pictures to accompany my recount of this meal, but something so delectable just has to be shared.

Appetizer of choice: Steamed PEI Mussels
These muscles are stewed in a white wine sauce without any hints of bitterness. There were subtle sausage crumbs scattered throughout the plate. The muscles were complemented with light, fresh, spring fennel to combined with a fresh roasted tomato married the flavors to highlight the focus, the muscle. The dish was topped with a toasted crunchy sliver of bread perfect for dipping.

Split Entres: Each of our plates had the perfect portion of each entree for the splitting giving us a sample of all the flavors we wanted to enjoy.

Pretzel Crusted Pork Chops:

These pretzel crusted pork chops weren't just regular pork chops, they were a rich buttery, crunchy, crust. They added a nice salty tang to the warm and juicy chop. The chops were accompanied with fresh crisp green beans and a creamy mashed potato that melted in my mouth. I was surprised at how the combination of all three elements were perfect texturally as well as a perfect flavor combination.

Roasted Colorado Rack of Lamb:

The roasted rack of lamb was the best part of the meal. Medium rare, fresh, juicy, and sweet. It was topped with a red pepper infused demiglace and accompanied by a  carrot puree, chick pea fritter, and grilled green onions. The flavors on the plate were all perfectly balanced. The carrot puree was a pleasant creamy sweet addition- similar to the squash soup with a pastier consistency. The puree was crispy and light, it brought a lighter flavor to the lamb. It was a refreshing balance. The chick pea fritter was also equally as light, a fried fritter usually has a heavier flavor, but this fritter was light, airy, and crispy all in one bite. I would recommend as a must order.

Dark Chocolate Devil’s Food Layer Cake:
With an espresso ice cream & bruleed bananas. I opted for the vanilla bean icecream instead of the espresso. I was not in the mood for those coffee flavors. I am not the biggest fan of bruleed bananas, I tried one but ignored the rest. The cake and vanilla bean icecream was smooth and creamy. A great end to the meal, but not as memorable as the other entrees.


I would love to go back and eat the same meal again. I am a creature of habit so it would take some nudging to try the other amazing items on the list. But I would definitely not  be afraid to explore and deviate from the first sample I had.. bon appetite!

picture of pretzel pork chops from the grouse mountain grill site:


1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm Jen. Fun critique! I'd bet you will be able to duplicate! Will be waiting anxiously for a future cooking blog!! Happy Anniversary to you both !!

    ReplyDelete