Sunday, December 5, 2010

Winter Squash Soup

After a bad season of small and rotten CSA veggies and stupid "treats of the week" I was very disappointed with my seasonal investment. One of the last few weeks we received a pumpkin, a winter pumpkin squash, and carnival squash.

Our larger pumpkin was eaten by a squirrel. Grrrr.. That squirrel was named Simon and I am still very mad at him.

Two months later, the other two squashes have been blended into a new favorite of the Keenie Kitchen. This was a true process of experimentation. I researched a bunch of recipes online, I read lots of winter squash, butternut squash, and pumpkin soup recipes. Without knowing if I should put in curry and other strong flavors I decided to go for the more "pure" squash soup. The experimental process included figuring out if I should use the blender or food processor, and figuring out what spice was missing... And this is how it went:

The Shopping List:

2 small squashes or maybe 1 large butternut squash
1 small-medium sized onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 heaping tablespoon of honey
S&P
Paprika
Parsley

Putting it Together:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 and put the rack second from the top
  2. Peel and cut the squash into about 1 inch pieces
  3. Chop the onion and mince or press the garlic
  4. Combine squash onion, olive oil, honey, a healthy dose of freshly cracked pepper, and cracked sea salt to cover
  5. Once preheated, put the pan in the oven and cook for 30 minutes with a watchful eye
  6. After 30 minutes turn down the heat to 375 and cook until the vegetable bake starts to caramelize
  7. Add the vegetables to a FOOD PROCESSOR. It will need a little liquid to start blending properly. I was a little unsure throughout this process so I added half and half in small doses. (see picture)
  8. Once fully blended transfer the puree to a pot and keep slowly whisking in half and half (I ended up using almost an entire pint)
  9. Add salt, pepper, and a little bit of paprika to taste
  10. Garnish with paprika, fresh cracked pepper, and freshly chopped parsley (dried is fine and pictured below, but fresh will take the cake!)


Notes:
- Try with a fresh loaf of bread.. french bread was just perfect.
- Paprika to taste
- I don't know the difference between half and half versus a heavy cream but I think either will suffice
- The thickness of the soup is a preference, more or less is up to you.
- Taste testing is essential! Don't be afraid to taste, wonder, think, and execute. I took out a little soup and tried paprika on the small sample before I added it to the pot. It is a good tip for trying new things without spoiling the batch!! 

1 comment:

  1. Who knew flavor that big could come from veggies that small?

    ReplyDelete