Monday, April 25, 2011

Drying Herbs

Do you ever have to buy fresh herbs for a special recipe? ..and you really don't need to use it again during its shelf life? I took on that vow to be resourceful, so this blog entry is dedicated to drying spices. I made a little savory, some parsley, and a lot of sage, and  on to the basil!

This summer I am going to create a sustainable herb garden and fuel my meals with fresh summer flavor that will last into the winter months.

Enjoy!

Pantry list:
  • Fresh herbs you want to dry
Drying:
  • Make sure the herbs are dry.
  • Hang up side down by a rubber band or string and let it dry up for a few weeks.
  • After they dry take the herb off the stems and store. I like to put them in saved jars.
Hints:
  • Do not dry in direct sunlight, that is why you see a lot of herbs drying in paper bags.
  • If you decide to protect your herbs in paper bags make sure to poke holes in it to promote air circulation and ventilation for drying
  • My mom used to hang fresh flowers for drying on a string the garage, that was both dry and dark.. although, for the things you want to eat you may come up with another place for drying.
  • There are alternative methods using the oven, if you know of a good way, do tell! I have just heard that the herbs lose their flavor and can easily get "burnt".

No comments:

Post a Comment